Flaming Lips' "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" musical to make world premiere Nov. 6 in California
The La Jolla Playhouse in La Jolla, Calif., has announced that the musical “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots,” based on the fantastical 2002 album of the same title by Oklahoma City’s own The Flaming Lips, will debut there Nov. 6-Dec. 16.
The musical’s story is by Lips frontman Wayne Coyne and Des McAnuff, La Jolla Playhouse’s director emeritus whose Broadway directing credits include the musicals “Jersey Boys” and “The Who’s Tommy.”
Music and lyrics are by The Flaming Lips, and the show was conceived and directed by McAnuff.
Here is the show synopsis:
Yoshimi is a young Japanese artist facing the battle of her life: the battle for her life. Adrift from her family and lover, Yoshimi journeys alone into a fantastical robot-world where she wages a war with fate. Will her will to survive be powerful enough to master the evil forces that threaten to destroy her? Inspired by the whimsical and psychedelic music of Wayne Coyne and The Flaming Lips, this world premiere musical integrates music from several albums (“Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots,” “The Soft Bulletin,” “At War with the Mystics”) with Coyne and multiple Tony Award-winning director Des McAnuff’s poignant, humanistic story about the triumph of love and optimism over the mystery of our own mortality. The result is dazzling, multimedia experience that offers an allegory of our modern battle for progressive thought and individuality in the face of blind acceptance and conformity.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients