Video: RIP Jerry Nelson
Jerry Nelson, the puppeteer behind an array of memorable characters including Count von Count on “Sesame Street” and Gobo Fraggle on “Fraggle Rock,” died last week. He was 78.
According to the Associated Press, Nelson, who suffered from emphysema, died Thursday night in his Massachusetts home on Cape Cod.
In recent years, Nelson gave up the physically demanding job of operating the Count and other puppets on “Sesame Street” but still voiced the characters, according to the AP. The show’s new season launches in September and Nelson’s voice will be heard.
He also operated the Muppet puppets Sherlock Hemlock, Herry Monster and the Amazing Mumford.
Nelson was part of other projects featuring Jim Henson’s Muppets, including the 1984 movie “The Muppets Take Manhattan” and TV series including the 1980s “Fraggle Rock” and 1990s “Muppets Tonight”
One of my favorite of the Henson projects he helped bring to life is the 1977 holiday classic “Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas,” a musical, Muppet-y twist on the O Henry story “The Gift of the Magi” based on a storybook by Russell and Lillian Hoban. Nelson voiced and operated the title character, and here is a sample, lovingly shared in his memory:
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients