Wednesday Video Spotlight: Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne, Ke$ha and Ben Folds Five, "You're the Reason Our Kids Are Ugly"
Reunited alternative rock trio Ben Folds Five heralded Tuesday’s release of “The Sound of the Life of the Mind,” the group’s first album in 13 years, with a sold-out show Monday night at the venerable Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tenn.
Midway through the show, refreshingly unpredictable frontman Ben Folds introduced a pair of special guests: Oklahoma City’s own Wayne Coyne, frontman of The Flaming
Lips, and Ke$ha, the dance-pop star who grew up in Nashville. The odd couple duo, who previously collaborated on the Lips’ spring release “The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends,” took the stage to perform a quirky cover of the Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty’s witty 1978 love-hate hit “You’re the Reason Our Kids Are Ugly.”
“Now we don’t know if [Twitty and Lynn] actually ever sang that song onstage here, but why don’t we say they did that 35 years ago this day. … Don’t screw it up; I’m pretty drunk,” Coyne joked over the song’s intro. (The Ryman is the former home of the Grand Ole Opry and “Hee-Haw.”) Check out the fan videos of the duet posted below.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients