Wednesday Video Spotlight: Disney is buying Lucasfilm, releasing new "Stars Wars" movie in 2015, and Darth Vader is going to Disneyland!
It was the news that gobsmacked the movie-loving world: Tuesday’s announcement that the Walt Disney Co. has acquired Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion in cash and stock and that a new “Star Wars” movie will be released in 2015.
Kathleen Kennedy, current co-chair of Lucasfilm, will become its president, reporting to Walt Disney Studios chair Alan Horn. Disney is paying about half the purchase price in cash and will issue 40 million shares of stock, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars features, with the franchise’s creator and Lucasfilm founder George Lucas, 68, working as creative consultant. There are plans to release a new Star Wars film every two or three years.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21951Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13280Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10987Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10877UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7355Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 7058Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 6253Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5703Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5606Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5160Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients