Bill Howard, Oklahoma City TV personality best known for Pokey the Puppet, dies
A version of this story will appear in Thursday’s The Oklahoman.
Bill Howard, who played Pokey the Puppet, dies
The longtime Oklahoma City TV personality was best known for his witty performance as Ho Ho the Clown’s sidekick.
Although his television career spanned 37 years, Howard was best known for playing Pokey the Puppet, the sock-puppet sidekick of Ho Ho the Clown on KOCO-5’s long-running children’s program.
“Bill was an integral part of the history of KOCO. Pokey the Puppet is legendary in thousands of kids’ lives,” said KOCO President and General Manager Brent Hensley, who worked with Howard for seven years. “That was one of the biggest impacts that Bill had on the community at large, but his impact on us here at KOCO, the folks that worked with him here, was immeasurable.”
After a tour of duty as a photographer in the U.S. Army, Howard started at KOCO in 1960 as a camera operator and soon joined the “Lunch With Ho Ho Show,” according to The Oklahoman Archives. The “Ho Ho Show” aired from 1960 to 1988, making it one of the longest-running children’s TV programs in America.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 3548Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3510Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3477How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients