What to do in Oklahoma on Jan. 18, 2013: See the exhibit "Starmaker: Jim Halsey and the Legends of Country Music" at the Gaylord-Pickens Museum
Today’s featured event:
The Gaylord-Pickens Oklahoma Heritage Museum, 1400 Classen Drive, will open the exhibit “Starmaker: Jim Halsey and the Legends of Country Music” tonight in its Tulsa World Gallery.
The opening reception is set for 5 to 7 tonight at the Gaylord-Pickens Museum, NW 13 Street and Shartel Avenue. “Starmaker” will be on display at the museum through April 5.
In keeping with the gallery’s mission to showcase Oklahoma artists, the exhibit features 60 years of historic music and show business memorabilia from Halsey’s career as a premier artist manager, agent and impresario.
Born in Independence, Kan., in 1930, Halsey began promoting concerts while still in high school. He formed Jim Halsey Co. Talent Agency in 1951 in Oklahoma with his first client, Hank Thompson.
During his 60-year career, Halsey affected the careers of many country and popular music figures including Oklahomans Reba McEntire, Wanda Jackson and Leon Russell as well as Waylon Jennings, Minnie Pearl, Clint Black, Tammy Wynette, Merle Haggard, Dwight Yoakum, Conway Twitty, The Judds, Roy Orbison, Willie Nelson, the Osmond Brothers, Tammy Wynette, Bob Hope, Jerry Jeff Walker, and many others. At its height, the Jim Halsey Company was the largest country music agency in the world.
Halsey expanded country music’s reach to Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America by organizing and presenting concerts abroad.
“Even in the late 1950s, we were pioneering Southeast Asia and the European markets with Wanda Jackson and Hank Thompson,” said Halsey in a news release. “Our specialty was taking country music to locations and venues where it had never been presented before.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4444Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4167Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4106Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients