Video: Oklahomans Paul Harvey and The Flaming Lips featured in Super Bowl commercials
The Baltimore Ravens held on to beat the San Francisco 49ers 34-31 Sunday night in Super Bowl XLVII. Unfortunately, the Super Bowl commercials weren’t nearly as good as the game this year.
But two of my favorite ads of the night featured talented Oklahomans.
As previously reported, one of Hyundai’s Super Bowl spots featured Oklahoma City-based psychedelic rockers The Flaming Lips and their super-catchy new jam “Sun Blows Up Today.”
Titled “Epic Playdate,” the ad depicts The Lips inspiring a family of five to go on an appropriately outrageous adventure involving tough-looking bikers, shenanigans at a natural history museum and dressing as robots.
The band plays on the roof of their suburban home, Wayne Coyne catches a blueberry in his teeth, and one of the sons engages in an epic game of bowling by riding in one of Wayne’s signature crowd-surfing space bubbles.
Oh, and there’s confetti. Of course there’s confetti. So it’s pretty much the perfect ad for the Lips given the limitations of its upcoming placement on primetime network television. Here’s an extended version of the ad:
My favorite ad of the night, though, was the Dodge Ram Truck “Farmer” commercial featuring the voice of the late radio broadcaster Paul Harvey, a Tulsa native and University of Tulsa graduate.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients