"Star Wars" spin-off films reportedly to center on Han Solo and Boba Fett
Soon after Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger confirmed Tuesday that screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on stand-alone “Star Wars” movies that aren’t part of the new post-”Return of the Jedi” trilogy that’s in the works, speculation began about what characters from George Lucas’ “galaxy far, far away” might star in those spinoff films.
According to the Associated Press, Iger said the movies would be based on “great ‘Star Wars’ characters that are not part of the overall saga.” The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, which starts in 2015 with “Star Wars: Episode VII.”
Entertainment Weekly reports that one of the spin-offs will relate the origin story of young scoundrel/smuggler Han Solo, while another will be a bounty hunter adventure centering on fan favorite Boba Fett.
Several sources close to the projects confirmed, according to EW.com, although each cautioned it’s still very early in the process and, well, the deal could always be altered futher. Lucasfilm and Disney declined comment.
The Han Solo story would take place in the time period between the last “Star Wars” prequel film, “Revenge of the Sith,” and the first “Star Wars,” AKA “A New Hope,” AKA Episode IV.
EW reports it’s possible that Harrison Ford could appear as a framing device, à la Ian Holm’s Bilbo Baggins in “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.” But the movie obviously would require a new lead actor, presumably one younger than Ford, then 35, was when he appeared in the 1977 original.
The Boba Fett film would take place either between “A New Hope” and “The Empire Strikes Back,” or between “Empire” and “Jedi.” As fans undoubtedly remember, the bounty hunter was last seen in Episode VI plunging unceremoniously into the Sarlacc pit, where he was presumably slowly digested over 1,000 years, although works such as Dark Horse Comics’ “Dark Empire” series detail his escape from the alien maw.
Since Boba Fett never took off his helmet in the original trilogy, casting for that spin-off could be pretty wide open. In the prequels, Boba Fett was the son of the original Storm Trooper clone Jango Fett. New Zealand actor Temuera Morrison played Jango, and EW.com reports he’s still the right age for the part if Disney goes that route.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17340Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17005OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 13213Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11218Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 9481Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7832Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7484Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7128Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 7070Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6266Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients