Blake Shelton's controversial comments prompt Country Weekly cover story "What Is Country?"
As previously reported, Oklahoma country music superstar Blake Shelton set off a firestorm of debate with his recent comments about the clash between new styles of country music and traditional-minded fans.
Now, the conversation he started has prompted an exclusive Country Weekly cover story appropriately titled “What Is Country?” on the magazine’s Feb. 25 issue, on sale today.
As this special cover story points out, over the past several decades, new styles like honky-tonk and the so-called Nashville Sound stirred the pot and caused their own share of controversies.
The story also features Shelton’s warm reconciliation with the legendary Ray Price, who originally took offense at Shelton’s remarks.
The question of what is country music is one we’ve been pondering here at BAM’s Blog since right before Taylor Swift earned her first Academy of Country Music entertainer of the year trophy back in 2010. To read how country stars like Gary Allan, Lee Ann Womack and Rachel Reinert of Gloriana defined country music for me then, click here.
Shelton and Luke Bryan will co-host the 2013 Academy of Country Music Awards at 7 p.m. April 7 in Las Vegas. The show will air live on CBS.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17147Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12600OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11594'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11336Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9954Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 8356Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 8267Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7063Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 6991Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6984Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients