Warner Archive releases 1954 film "The Boy from Oklahoma" on DVD
Warner Archive released today the lighthearted 1954 Western “The Boy from Oklahoma,” starring Will Rogers Jr., Nancy Olson and Oklahoma City native Lon Chaney Jr. on DVD.
Billed as an “ahead-of-its-time anti-hero revisionist Western starring the son of America’s best beloved humorist,” it was a directed by Oscar winner Michael Curtiz (“Casablanca,” “White Christmas,” “Mildred Pierce”) and featured supporting turns by Louis Jean Heydt, Slim Pickens and Erick native Sheb Wooley, who all went on to appear in the TV series “Sugarfoot,” which was inspired by the film.
This title has been manufactured from the best-quality video master currently available and has not been remastered or restored for this DVD release. But, hey, I’m surprised and excited that it’s available at all.
Here is the synopsis:
Will Rogers Jr. tames the Old West with a rope and a grin in this breezy adventure directed by Oscar winner Michael Curtiz (“Casablanca,” 1943) and costarring Nancy Olson, Lon Chaney, Jr. and Merv Griffin in a rare screen appearance. Wandering across the New Mexico territory, law student Tom Brewster (Rogers Jr.) mails his final exam from Bluerock, a corrupt town whose sheriff was recently killed. So when the stagecoach is robbed and the letters stolen, Tom is offered the lawman’s position when it’s learned he won’t carry a gun. Armed with only a rope and his wits, Tom attempts to clean up the town and track down the killers without ending up in Boot Hill. Based on a Saturday Evening Post story by screenwriter Michael Fessier (“You Were Never Lovelier”), “The Boy from Oklahoma” was soon spun off into “Sugarfoot,” a TV series that ran for four seasons (1957-61) and starred Will Hutchins as the fledgling frontier lawyer.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12097Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11309Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6870Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6485Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4833Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4317OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3653Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3565Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3534How to help tornado victims
- 3145Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients