Maurice Ravel / American Idiot
On this day in classical music: Maurice Ravelâ€™s piano four-hand version of â€śMa Mere lâ€™Oyeâ€ť (Mother Goose) was premiered in 1910. Listen to frequent collaborators Martha Argerich and Nelson Friere perform the third of five movements, titled Laideronnette, ImpĂ©ratrice des Pagodes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdVZAkHac_Y
On this day in the musical theatre: Broadway added one more musical with a rock score to the record books when â€śAmerican Idiotâ€ť opened in 2010. The show was based on the punk rock band Green Day and its concept album of the same name. The show, which won Tony Awards for scenic design and lighting design, managed to run just over a year.
Theatrical musings: Rage and love, those consuming emotions felt with a particularly acute pang in youth, all but burn up the stage in â€śAmerican Idiot,â€ť the thrillingly raucous and gorgeously wrought Broadway musical adapted from the blockbuster pop-punk album by Green Day. â€śAmerican Idiotâ€ť jolts you right back to the dizzying roller coaster of young adulthood, that turbulent time when ecstasy and misery almost seem interchangeable states, flip sides of the coin of exaltation. It captures with a piercing intensity that moment in life when everything seems possible, and nothing seems worth doing, or maybe itâ€™s the other way around. â€“ Charles Isherwood writing in The New York Times.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19471Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 14514Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10937UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 9667Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8444Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 7027Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 5625Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5257Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 4924Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4923Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients