Ferde Grofe / Man of La Mancha
On this day in classical music: The Paul Whiteman Orchestra gave the premiere of Ferde GrofĂ©â€™s â€śGrand Canyon Suiteâ€ť in 1931. GrofĂ© began playing piano with the Paul Whiteman Orchestra in 1920 and served as chief arranger for the group from 1920 to 1932. His most popular arrangement was that of George Gershwinâ€™s â€śRhapsody in Blue.â€ť The â€śGrand Canyon Suite,â€ť which is GrofĂ©â€™s most popular composition, was written between 1929 and 1931. Each of the five movements evokes a particular scene about the famous canyon: Sunrise, Painted Desert, On The Trail, Sunset and Cloudburst. GrofĂ© also composed suites depicting the Mississippi River and Niagara Falls. Listen to Keith Lockhart and the Brevard Sinfonia perform the opening â€śSunriseâ€ť from GrofĂ©â€™s â€śGrand Canyon Suite.â€ť http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5yZcwe_T48
On this day in the musical theatre: Few theater insiders thought â€śMan of La Manchaâ€ť had much chance for success when it opened on Broadway in 1965. But it quickly caught on with audiences, thanks largely to its compelling story and accomplished lead actor Richard Kiley. The musical also contained Mitch Leigh and Joe Darionâ€™s â€śThe Impossible Dream,â€ť a standout that enjoyed a long and profitable existence outside the trappings of the musical. Adapted from Dale Wassermanâ€™s non-musical 1959 teleplay â€śI, Don Quixote,â€ť which was in turn inspired by Miguel de Cervantesâ€™ 17th century masterpiece â€śDon Quixote,â€ť â€śMan of La Manchaâ€ť was the story of a mad knight who is imprisoned and acts out his story as he awaits a hearing with the Spanish Inquisition. The original production ran for nearly six years and won five Tony Awards, including one as best musical. The popular musical has been revived four times on Broadway and remains one of the musical theaterâ€™s most enduring works. Listen to Tony Award winner Richard Kiley perform â€śThe Impossible Dream.â€ť http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xStXix7VDCU
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17454Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13102OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11643'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11460Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9987Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 8525Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 8435Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7203Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7020Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7003Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients