AAA offers tips to save gasoline
With Oklahoma gasoline prices hitting an all-time high for February, AAA is offering some tips to help drivers save money.
“Every driver is impacted by the increased cost of fuel” AAA Oklahoma spokesman Chuck Mai said. “But there are several easy things we can do to stretch each tank of gas and to find the lowest fuel prices when it’s time to fill up.”
Here are AAA’s tips:
Properly inflate tires
Only 17 percent of cars have all four tires properly inflated, yet the U.S. Department of Energy reports that proper tire inflation can improve fuel economy by up to three percent. It’s important not only to check tire pressures at least once a month, but also to make sure it’s done correctly. A recent survey found that 85 percent of motorists don’t know how to properly check tire pressures. It’s best to check the pressures when the tires are cold and have not been driven recently. Tires should be inflated to levels recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, not the pressure levels stamped on the tire sidewall. The proper pressure levels can be found on a sticker on the driver’s side door jamb or in the owner’s manual.
Be gentle on the gas and brake pedals
One of the easiest and most effective ways to conserve fuel is to change driving styles. Instead of making quick starts and sudden stops, go easy on the gas and brake pedals. If there is a red light ahead, ease off the gas and coast up to it rather than waiting until the last second to brake. Once the light turns green, gently accelerate rather than making a quick start. The U.S. Department of Energy reports aggressive driving can lower a car’s fuel economy by up to 33 percent.
Let AAA find lowest gas prices
Click on Fuel News & Tools in the AAA News & Safety section of AAA.com to: check gas prices station-by-station with AAA’s free Fuel Price Finder, check national, state and city average prices via www.AAAFuelGaugeReport.com, and access AAA’s Fuel Cost Calculator, which can figure your total fuel bill for your particular trip based on your particular vehicle.
AAA’s TripTik smartphone app provides motorists with the most current and accurate gas price data available, by drawing on credit card transactions at more than 100,000 stations nationwide. Drivers can find the lowest gas prices close to home or on the road. The AAA app’s GPS technology enables users to quickly locate stations on a map and see the price for all available grades of gasoline. Visit AAA.com/Mobile.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17023OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 16448Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 12708Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12580Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9471Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7819Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7691Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7125Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6963Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
- 6749Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients