Coburn Sitting Tight on Reelection Plans
Many people here expect Sen. Tom Coburn to seek another term next year, but the Muskogee Republican isn’t ready to make an announcement.
In an interview last week, Coburn said, “I ran for the Senate (in 2004) because I felt like I was called to run for the Seante. It was something I’m supposed to do. And I’m not about to announce to run again until I know I’m called to do that. And until I know that, I’m sitting tight.”
Coburn said he didn’t want to be here if his heart wasn’t in it.
“Can you imagine me being here and not being involved? Just coasting? How good would that be for Oklahoma if I was just here coasting, just collecting a check and being one of the boys?
“If I’m going to be here, I need to know I’m supposed to be here. It’s something that’s on my mind a lot.
“I’m prepared when I announce, if I announce, I will have everything set to do what I need to do to win this election big-time, big-time. And if I run, I relish anyone who wants to run against me. I can’t wait to have the debates.”
Some of the speculation about Coburn’s plans has focused on the fact that he has relatively little money in his campaign account _ less than $55,000 at the end of 2008.
In the 2004 race against former U.S. Rep. Brad Carson, Coburn spent $5 million.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17746Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 14365Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11370Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 10980'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10448Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9120Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 7765OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6828Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6277Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5681Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients