New Poll: McCain and Clinton Leading
The early frontrunners in the presidential race in Oklahoma are Sen. Hillary Clinton on the Democratic side and Sen. John McCain for Republicans, but nearly 30 percent of the voters in both parites are undecided, according to a poll released today.
The Sooner Survey, conducted by the Oklahoma City firm of Cole Hargrave Snodgrass and Associates, shows McCain, of Arizona, had the support of 27 percent of the 300 registered Republicans polled in late April.
Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani finished second, with 17 percent, while former Sen. Fred Thompson, who hasn’t even said he’s running, got 12 percent. The rest of the candidates were in single digits.
Many have questioned Giuliani’s viability in conservative states like Oklahoma. He has supported abortion rights and some gun control measures. Republican Pollster Pat McFerron, writing in the Sooner Survey, notes that Giuliani only garnered the support of 10 percent of those describing themselves as evangelical Christians and only got support from 8 percent of those who say abortion is their top issue.
The undecideds on the GOP side totalled 28 percent.
McCain and Giuliani have made multiple visits to the state. Former Masssachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who got 7 percent in the poll, canceled an appearance scheduled for last month in Oklahoma Cith.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients