Edmondson's in the 2010 governor's race
Attorney General Drew Edmondson as expected announced today he’s running for governor.
He’s the second Democrat to announce plans to seek the post in 2010. Two Republicans also have announced. The filing period is next June.
Edmondson, speaking to about 100 supporters gathered in the Blue Room in the state Capitol, said he’s ready for new challenges.
“As attorney general, I’ve fought to protect Oklahomans from crime, I’ve stood up against special interests and I’ve taken on corrupt politicians,” Edmondson said. “As governor, I’m going to fight just as hard to create good-paying jobs and make sure all Oklahomans have access to quality, affordable health care.”
Edmondson said he would focus his time as governor on creating new, high-paying jobs in the energy industry. Improving common and higher education and protecting the state’s natural resources, especially water, were other priorities, he said.
Edmondson said in January he isn’t seeking a fifth term and was contemplating a gubernatorial bid.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17613Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 13042Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11234Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 11211Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 10608'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10120Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 7197Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 6592Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6062New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 5967Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients