Government Like a Business
Anyone who wasn’t worried about the whole financial mess before Thursday night had to have gotten at least a little nervous after seeing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s face in this picture.
This was taken at the Capitol after a meeting that Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson and Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke held with congressional leaders, and Pelosi, D-Calif., looks like she’s in shock.
Paulson and Bernanke were apparently warning of a fiscal apocalypse that could only be averted by massive government intervention.
Which reminded me that when I first started covering politics in the mid-1980s, a lot of candidates in Oklahoma used to say that they wanted to see government run like a business.
Sounds a bit quaint now.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16614OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14171Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13556Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10806Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9444Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7747Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7539Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7474'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 7103Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 7093Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients