Make a Prediction!
Ok, first: No Democratic presidential candidate has carried Oklahoma since 1964, when LBJ got 56 percent of the vote against Goldwater.
Here are the results in Oklahoma since then (I’ve left out some of the Independents):
1968: Nixon, 48 percent; Humphrey, 22 percent, George Wallace, 20 percent (!)
1972: Nixon, 74 percent; McGovern, 24 percent
1976: Ford, 50 percent; Carter, 49 percent (Didn’t realize this one was so close; about 13,000 votes)
1980: Reagan, 60.5 percent; Carter, 35 percent
1984: Reagan, 69 percent; Mondale, 31 percent
1988: Bush, 58 percent; Dukakis, 41 percent
1992: Bush, 42 percent; Clinton, 34 percent; Ross Perot, 23 percent
1996: Dole, 48 percent; Clinton, 40 percent; Perot, 11 percent
2000: Bush, 60 percent; Gore, 38 percent
2004: Bush, 66 percent; Kerry, 34 percent
So, given the state’s history in the last 44 years, how do you think McCain and Obama do on Tuesday in Oklahoma?
OU Political Science Prof. Keith Gaddie says McCain gets somewhere between 61 and 64 percent and Obama gets between 36 and 39 percent.
Former state Democratic Party chairman _ and Democratic fundraiser _ Mike Turpen says it will be closer than 60-40.
U.S. Rep. Tom Cole, R-Moore, who held numerous political positions at the state and national level and is now chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, says McCain gets 65 percent or more.
What say you?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16150OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14605Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10995Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 9399Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 9121'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 8921Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7695Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7584Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 7477Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7078Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients