Exit Polls: How Oklahoma Compares
You all know by now that Sen. Barack Obama won the presidency while losing every county in Oklahoma. But the exit polls nationally and the ones specific to the state offer some revealing points about how voters divided over Obama and Republican Sen. John McCain.
The Oklahoma results that I’ve seen don’t have all the detailed information contained in the national questionnaire, but there are some comparisons:
Nationally, Obama got a lot more support from Democratic voters and Independents than he did in Oklahoma.
_ In Oklahoma, 67 percent of Democrats voted for Obama; while, nationally, 89 percent did so. In Oklahoma, 95 percent of Republicans voted for McCain; nationally, 90 percent did so.
Only 59 percent of white Democrats voted for Obama in Oklahoma while, nationally, 85 percent of white Democrats went for Obama.
In Oklahoma, 64 percent of Independents voted for McCain; nationally, 52 percent voted for Obama.
_ In Oklahoma, McCain won every income group except one, those making from $15,000 to $30,000 a year (12 percent of those surveyed at the polls).
Nationally, Obama won four income groups (including those making over $200,000 per year), while McCain won two.
_ In Oklahoma, 36 percent of those polled said they had a college degree, and of those, 69 percent voted for McCain.
Nationally, 44 percent said they had a college degree and 53 percent of those voted for Obama.
_ In Oklahoma, McCain won the urban, suburban and rural areas. Nationally, Obama won all three areas.
_ In Oklahoma, 88 percent of those questioned were somewhat or very worried about the economy. Of those, 65 percent voted for McCain.
Nationally, 85 percent said they were worried about the economy, and of those, 54 percent went for Obama.
_ In Oklahoma, 44 percent approve of the job being done by President Bush. And, of those, 93 percent voted for McCain. Of the 55 percent who disapprove of Bush, 57 percent voted for Obama.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17776Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 14796Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11428Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11084'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10542Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9183Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 8337OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6864Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6373Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5941Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients