More tragedy for Johnson
The victim in a Tuesday night homicide is the grandson of Oklahoma County Commissioner Willa Johnson.
Stevon Hammond, 25, was shot to death late Tuesday inside a home at 620 NW 114. Police have arrested Braylon Timmons, 21, on a murder complaint and have issued a warrant for his brother, Brandon Timmons, 25, in connection with the shooting.
Police said there was an altercation at the home before the shooting. Several other people were reportedly at the home when the shooting happened but left before officers arrived.
Johnson issued a statement Wednesday about the incident expressing shock and sorrow at the news.
“I urge anyone who may have information regarding Stevon’s death to contact Oklahoma City Police Crime Stoppers at 235-7300,” Johnson said in the statement. ” Please continue to pray for Stevon, our family and friends, during this very difficult time.”
Police said anyone with information about Brandon Timmons’ wereabouts is asked to call 911. Callers with other information can call the homicide tip line at 297-1200.
This is not the first time Johnson has experienced personal tragedy. Her son died several years ago, and Johnson made no secrets about the effect his death had on her life. She has also been fighting breast cancer.
I’ve covered Johnson since I began working the city government beat in 2003. She was a longtime Ward 7 city councilwoman before she won the District 1 county commissioner’s seat. She’s always treated me with warmth and respect.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17023OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 16448Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 12708Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12580Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9471Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7819Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7691Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7125Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6963Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
- 6749Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients