Obama Gives Shout Out to Tom Coburn at Prayer Breakfast
President Barack Obama talked about Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Muskogee, in his remarks at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington on Thursday.
Obama called Coburn a “dear friend” and “a brother in Christ” and said he prayed that Coburn would see the light and vote for one of his proposals.
Obama’s comments about Coburn, in full below, came a day after Coburn voted to repeal the health care law and blasted the White House for nominating federal prosecutor Arvo Mikkanen to be a U.S. district judge in Tulsa without consulting him.
Here is what Obama said about Coburn:
“It’s also comforting to know that people are praying for you who don’t always agree with you. Tom Coburn, for example, is here. He is not only a dear friend but also a brother in Christ. We came into the Senate at the same time. Even though we are on opposite sides of a whole bunch of issues, part of what has bound us together is a shared faith, a recognition that we pray to and serve the same God. And I keep praying that God will show him the light and he will vote with me once in a while. (Laughter.) It’s going to happen, Tom. (Laughter.) A ray of light is going to beam down. (Laughter.)”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients