Senate Republicans release agenda
In a legislative agenda closing mirroring the priorities Gov. Mary Fallin outlined in her State of the State address, the Senate Republican caucus pledged a commitment to smaller government and pro-jobs philosophies.
“Our agenda is pro-growth with a renewed dedication to government that is smaller, simpler and smarter while still protecting services that are vital to our citizens,” President Pro Tem Brian Bingman, R-Sapulpa, said.
And while the agenda released Tuesday endorsed many of the same ideas Fallin expressed in her 40 minute speech to lawmakers Monday, it was cautious about signing off on the governor’s plan to reduce the state’s income tax.
“Senate Republicans will take a thoughtful approach as we seek an aggressive yet responsible reduction of state income tax,” said Sen. Rick Brinkley, R-Owasso. “Many plans have been put forward to lower the income tax but we all agree on several things: core government services must be preserved and the promises we’ve made to Oklahomans must be kept.”
Brinkley said Senate Republicans are going to identify and eliminate ineffective credits, taxes credits and fees.
“It is simply wrong when any special interest receives an ineffective or obsolete tax credit at the expense of Oklahoma tax payers,” Brinkley said.
He said that task force he was on was looking more for a revenue neutral tax cut. The governor’s proposal would cost about $1 billion in revenue.
“There is no question that we ware excited to work with the governor’s office,” Brinkley said. “We’ve got time to work out a solution that will work.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients