Mike Thompson endorses James Lankford in Runoff
In a sign that the “status quo” is shifting to James Lankford in the 5th District congressional runoff, state Rep. MIke Thompson has officially endorsed the newcomer, according to Thompson spokesman Jake Parsons.
Thompson finished third in the Republican primary for the congressional seat on Tuesday. Lankford led the field of seven after a campaign saying the status quo in Washington couldn’t be changed by sending the status quo to Washington, and is now in a runoff with Kevin Calvey.
State Rep. Shane Jett, a Tecumseh Republican, declined to say whether he would endorse Lankford.
In an email response Thursday about whether he would back Lankford, Jett said to stay tuned.
Here are quotes from Thompson:
“On August 24th, voters in central Oklahoma will have the opportunity to make a critical decision. I ran for Congress because the federal government is out of control. From failed bailouts, the disastrous health care takeover, crippling debt and their assault on our economy, Washington politicians have our country on a crash course. If we’re going to stand up for our freedoms, it’s critical we send leaders to Washington who will focus on reform.
“Oklahomans have an opportunity to send a genuine conservative to Congress. James Lankford is the transformative leader we need. James comes from outside politics and brings a perspective desperately needed in Washington. He doesn’t claim to know how Washington works because, like me, he doesn’t believe it does. He’s honest, straightforward and unlike many politicians, his conservative values won’t change with the environment.
“While I have respect for all of the Republican candidates who ran for the 5th district, I respectfully ask you to join me in voting for James Lankford on August 24th.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16166Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12480Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11351'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11233Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11000Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10503OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7225Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6948Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6833Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 6790Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients