U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe Expresses Concern About New Policy on Women in Combat
U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe, of Tulsa, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, released a statement Thursday after a briefing with Defense Department officials regarding changes to the policy on women in combat.
“I was on the House Committee in 1994 when Les Aspin first made these changes,” said Inhofe. “Because that policy has worked so well for so long, I am concerned about the potential impacts of completely ending this policy.
“While the Pentagon has rescinded the 1994 Direct Combat Definition and Assignment Rule, not all of the 237,000 positions previously closed to women will now be automatically open. Instead, the military Services, under Secretary Panetta’s direction, will conduct a review of all unit and specialty positions to be completed no later than 2016.
“But I want everyone to know that the Senate Armed Services Committee, of which I am the Ranking Member, will have a period to provide oversight and review. During that time, if necessary, we will be able to introduce legislation to stop any changes we believe to be detrimental to our fighting forces and their capabilities. I suspect there will be cases where legislation becomes necessary.
“Women have made incredibly valuable sacrifices in service to their country. One such example is Oklahoman Sarina Butcher who was killed in combat – a position she volunteered for – while serving in Afghanistan for the Oklahoma National Guard. We are forever indebted to her and others like her.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17454Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13102OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11643'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11460Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9987Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 8525Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 8435Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7203Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7020Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7003Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients