OKC Mayor Mick Cornett's Remarks to Republican National Convention
Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett just delivered a short speech to the GOP convention in Tampa, FL. He looked first for the Oklahoma delegates, and found a few in their section way in the back of the hall.
Here are his remarks:
I’m pleased to be here representing my fellow Republican mayors.
In Oklahoma, we think we’ve made a very real and substantial contribution to this presidential
Janna Ryan, the smart and charming wife of the next Vice President of the United States, is from
Oklahoma, and Paul and Janna were married in Oklahoma City.
It’s becoming more and more unusual for our best and brightest to leave the state, but in this case
we’re glad it’s worked out the way it has. We’re enjoying a renaissance in Oklahoma City.
It’s a renaissance fueled by sound, fiscally conservative leadership and a belief that local
investment in infrastructure is vital to economic development.
Twenty years ago we decided “we can do better” and we have. Today, we have the nation’s
lowest unemployment rate among large U.S. metropolitan areas.
While there is a role for Washington in addressing our city’s critical infrastructure needs – we
chose to invest in ourselves.
We built quality-of-life amenities that have transformed our city into a dynamic home for smart
young people and enterprising businesses.
Oklahoma City was recently named as the most entrepreneurial city in the country, with the most
start-ups per capita.
Interestingly, we have NOT done this by creating large amounts of debt. We did something
unique for many of our infrastructure packages: we paid cash.
Today we are building a community that is more walkable, more sustainable, more affordable
and more business-friendly, and we are building it with the kind of common-sense economic
policies that we need in Washington, policies that Mitt Romney will deliver as the next president
of the United States.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients