Tulsa commissioners pay a price for their vote
Simply agreeing to let Tulsa County residents decide a proposed sales tax extension got Republican County Commissioners Fred Perry and John Smaligo in trouble with fellow GOP members.
The Tulsa County Republican Party County Committee voted overwhelmingly last weekend to censure Perry and Smaligo. The committee comprises all GOP county office-holders, as well as precinct chairs and vice chairs.
Committee members oppose a plan to extend a 0.6 percent county sales tax to pay for bond-financed public works projects and upgrades to city-owned industrial facilities at Tulsa International Airport. They apparently felt betrayed that Perry and Smaligo would have the nerve to give county voters a say in the issue.
If the proposal passes in November, the two councilors can expect to be labeled as having supported it, even if they did no such thing. Alas, that’s life in today’s GOP.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18441Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17118OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 13848Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11264Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 9500Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7869Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7538Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7363Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7128Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6380Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients