"Pretty Little Liars": Not Toby! ... and how I spent my evening with my daughters
I was in the kitchen fixing chili for dinner last night, and I could hear my girls talking about what they were about to watch on TV.
When my daughters first started watching some of the popular teen-oriented shows, I wondered about the content of such shows. It seems like only yesterday they were immersed in shows like “Hannah Montana,” “Rugrats” and “That’s so Raven.”
I would occasionally hear a conversation about the shows, but I was an outsider. And, I had no interest in watching either of the series. How could I possibly get interested in them?
One night, however, I sat down with my oldest daughter, Katie, and watched both “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” and “Pretty Little Liars.” I was hooked! Not on “Secret Life” as much, but “Pretty Little Liars” became one of my must-see shows.
So, after I hurriedly finished in the kitchen last night, I settled in next to my girls on the couch. We finished the finale of “Secret Life” and then started “Liars,” a show all three of us had been anticipating.
But this isn’t just a blog about my television viewing habits. I have many more favorites: “NCIS,” “Longmire,” “Covert Affairs,” “Psych” …
It’s about the benefits of watching television with your children. When they were watching “American Idol” a couple of seasons ago, I would sit with them then on occasion.
I’ve enjoyed watching the shows. But I also enjoy listening to what Katie and Kaci have to say about the actors, characters, plots. I love to hear their opinions and their analysis of what the backstory really is when you’re unsure of where the storyline will go next.
They might get a little annoyed if I ask a question about Emily or Jenna or Toby or why they did what in the middle of a scene. … But, that’s OK. I can learn more just by watching … and listening later to what they have to say.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients