Should Sam Bradford get a commission for the Cleveland Browns' hire of Pat Shurmur?
What is former OU quarterback Sam Bradford’s finder’s fee or commission for helping offensive coordinators get head coaching jobs? First, it was Kevin Wilson at Indiana and now Pat Shurmur with the Cleveland Browns.
Shurmur deserves credit for Bradford’s rapid development, which made him a cinch for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and rallied the Rams to within a win of the NFC Playoffs. That the Shurmur-Bradford ticket accomplished that with a receiving corps only slightly more accomplished than what Sam threw to as Putnam City North senior is all the more impressive. But was anyone offering Shurmur jobs after last season for his tutelage of Marc Bulger (70.7 quarterback rating) and Kyle Boller (61.2)?
Now, in a piece of Red River irony, Browns president Mike Holmgren has tasked Shurmur with doing the same thing for former Texas quarterback Colt McCoy that he did for Bradford. McCoy had some impressive stretches as a rookie. And if Shurmur turns him into a budding star it may be safe to declare him an offensive genius — though it might be wise for him to burn the game film of the regular-season finale at Seattle.
So whose career will Sam boost next? The names of two NFL head coaches deposed during the season — Josh McDaniels and Brad Childress — are among the first to surface. And if Sam can put them back on head-coaching tracks after the Denver and Minnesota flame-outs, Slinging Sam really is a miracle worker.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24778Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 14485Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10221UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 9929Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 8118Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 7280Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6506Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6361Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6228Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 5696OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients