(Not) Finding Edward Hackett
My editor gave me a single task today: Find Edward Hackett.
Well, she wasn’t quite that…intense in her direction, but you get the picture. Hackett is the 77-year old Domino’s Pizza delivery man stabbed on a false delivery call before midnight Saturday in southeast Oklahoma City. We reported today that police arrested a trio of teenagers in the attack.
Police arrested Sethe Higgins, 15, and Keith Stewart, 14, on complaints of robbery with a dangerous weapon and Marcus Smith, 18, on complaints of robbery with a dangerous weapon, assault with intent to commit a felony and conspiracy to commit a felony.
Hackett’s stab wound left his organs protruding from his abdomen, but somehow, he is recovering and in fair condition at OU Medical Center.The senseless crime left a lot of heads shaking in Oklahoma City. It also raised the questions: Who was Edward Hackett and why, oh why, is he delivery pizza in his golden years?
I left the office and headed southeast, toward Del City, Hackett’s town, to find out.
In southeast Oklahoma City, old warehouses and fast food joints opened up to reveal…more old warehouses and fast food joints. A pale, tattooed hitch hiker walked along the road near Trosper Park. I passed. Near Tinker Air Force Base, I found a little strip plaza with the take-out Domino’s store where Hackett worked, a 7-Eleven, dry cleaner and a liquor store.
For the sake of the assignment, I ordered a pizza. Really, they couldn’t kick me out if I was waiting to eat. An employee who enthusiastically convinced me to try the new deep dish was apologetic in passing along the news that she couldn’t talk to me about her co-worker. The manager wouldn’t come to the front of the store, either. I ate a slice outside in the hopes a regular customer might stop by who knew Hackett. That didn’t happen. Really, how well does any one know their pizza delivery guy? Three slices later and I’d gotten no where with my stupid idea, except for uncomfortably full of pizza (a tad dough-y, btw, much like I was soon to be).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15916Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 15914Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11583Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11309'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10923Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10033OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7498Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6996Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6944Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6781Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients