On the surface, OKC’s decision to move up and snare Colorado forward Andre Roberson with the 26th pick seemed like a strange one.
Most mock drafts had him going early in the second round. The Thunder probably could have stayed put at 29 and 32, grabbing him in one of those slots.
Who knows? Maybe they had a tip that the Nuggets or Spurs (drafting 27th and 28th) also had eyes on Roberson. Doesn’t really matter at this point.
Sam Presti and the Thunder were obviously sold on Roberson in the pre-draft process. He averaged 11.2 rebounds per game last season and won Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year. And our own Darnell Mayberry reports that “the advanced stats say he’s really good”.
But at this point, far out from his first NBA season, I just want to get a quick look at the highlights. And a quick YouTube search revealed they are plentiful.
During his three seasons at Colorado, the 6-foot-7 210-pounder with explosive hops compiled an impressive dunk reel. Check out his top five:
5. Smooth move to the rim with a powerful finish. Wise move by the defender getting out of the way, as you’ll see later in this list
4. Didn’t count, but it was oh so pretty.
3. Cradle to the grave. That was on a 7-foot-2 dude!!!
2. How long has Roberson been postering defenders? Since Colorado was in the Big 12
1. We may only get to see this athleticism in preseason, Tulsa or blowouts, but looks like he’s going to be fun to watch. Nobody enjoyed this last one as much as the announcer (“Take that”)