MELBA'S SWAP SHOP
CELEBRATE JULY 4TH WITH TV MIX
DEAR MELBA: I make this TV Mix every holiday, including July Fourth. It's so simple, and everyone I know likes it. The grandkids always ask for it, so I always double the recipe.
1/2 cup margarine or butter
2 heaping teaspoons seasoned salt
11/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup mixed nuts
1 cup Cheerios
1 cup Kix
2 cups Rice Chex
2 cups Corn Chex
2 cups Wheat Chex
• Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In the heated oven, melt butter in 9-by-13-inch pan. When butter is melted, remove pan from oven, add remaining ingredients and stir until well mixed. Return to oven and bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool and store in sealed container.
CHRISTINE EILERTS, Jones
DEAR MELBA: I would like to share my directions for preparing and cooking fresh green beans.
FRESH GREEN BEANS
1 pound fresh green beans
3 slices bacon
1/4 cup chopped onions
21/2 cups boiling water
21/2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• Wash green beans. Place on cutting board and cut off ends. Cut, break or sliver beans French-style.
• Chop bacon and saute in small skillet with chopped onions. Drain, saving 1 tablespoon drippings.
• In large saucepan, combine water and chicken broth. Bring to boil. Add green beans, bacon-onion mixture, reserved bacon drippings, salt and pepper. Cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Taste and add more seasoning, if desired. Serves 5 to 6.
OKLAHOMA CITY READER
DEAR MELBA: Here's an easy cookie recipe. It's not made with cake mix, but with prepared cookie dough.
SUGAR COOKIES PLUS
1 bag sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup slightly crushed cornflakes
1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large mixing bowl, combine cookie dough, peanut butter and melted butter. Beat well and add egg, vanilla and oil, beating until well mixed. Add cornflakes and mix gently. Stir in nuts.
• Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
PHILLYS, Oklahoma City
If you have a problem other readers might help solve or an idea you'd like to share, email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Melba's Swap Shop, Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Please include your name and address.