The Big 12 football preseason poll is out, with some interesting results:
* I’m shocked — “shocked!” — that Texas came in fourth. That’s where I’m picking UT, but I figured the Longhorns would be the favorite. Texas is always oversold.
* I’m surprised that OSU came in No. 1. I’m picking the Cowboys, but I didn’t know if enough media would pull the trigger to put OSU in the pole position. But it’s easy for me. OSU has an offense you can count on, no matter who quarterbacks, and some defense to build on.
* The media picked OU second. I’ve got the Sooners third. Too many questions on that defense. Blake Bell will be fine, but too many questions.
* Kansas State was picked sixth. The Wildcats have the chance to produce a triple crown. They were picked eighth in 2011 and placed second. They were picked sixth in 2012 and won the league. Now the ‘Cats are picked sixth again. Finish first or second again, and it’s time to ban the entire electorate from future ballots.
* With that said, I’ve got KSU sixth myself. Bill Snyder never produces an elite team without an elite quarterback, and right now, K-State is unproven at quarterback.
* I like TCU. I like the Frogs a lot. Casey Pachall will make a big difference at quarterback, provided he stays sober, but the schedule is against the Frogs. TCU has to play in Norman and Stillwater.
* Baylor was tabbed fifth, and that’s where I’ve got the Bears. They’ll be solid. Looking fora darkhorse? Baylor’s your team.
* West Virginia seems a total mess. Media says eighth, I say ninth, though I guess getting Iowa State in Morgantown will help.
Here’s the poll:
- OSU (15 first-place votes) — 365 points
- OU (8) — 355
- TCU (9) — 347
- Texas (8) — 337
- Baylor (2) — 282
- Kansas State (1) — 240
- Texas Tech — 161
- West Virginia — 126
- Iowa State — 96
- Kansas — 56