YouTube is featuring its first ever Geek Week Aug. 4-10, and it includes new programming from more than 100 top YouTube channels and an exclusive trailer release for “Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World.”
Details on Geek Week, provided in a news release, are as follows:
There’s never been a better time to be a geek. From Game of Thrones and The Big Bang Theory to Harry Potter and The Avengers, geek culture is everywhere, attracting and connecting ever-expanding audiences. Today’s obsession with all-things-geek has sparked a global community on YouTube, enabling fans around the world to express their love of superheroes, comics, gaming, science and sci-fi. On August 4-10, we’ll celebrate this content with a special programming event: our first-ever YouTube Geek Week (YouTube.com/GeekWeek).
“With more than half of our top 20 non-music channels dedicated to geek culture, YouTube has become a top destination for fans everywhere to create, share and watch geek content.” said Danielle Tiedt, Chief Marketing Officer, YouTube. “We’re excited to shine a spotlight on this global community during Geek Week and debut all-new videos and series created by some of our most popular channel partners.”
Produced in conjunction with geek powerhouse Nerdist, Geek Week will showcase more than 100 channels fans love, unveiling new videos, series premieres and creative collaborations – as well as highlighting some of the best geek videos and shows already on YouTube.
Each day is hosted by a different YouTube channel, who will introduce the highlights of the day in a special daily video, as well as launch exciting new content throughout the week.
• Blockbuster Sunday: A celebration of the iconic characters, movies and shows that define geek culture – plus a spotlight on the best original YouTube sci-fi, fantasy and animation. Hosted by FreddieW.
• Global Geekery Monday: Anime from Tokyo, comic-book heroes from Delhi and a celebration of Doctor Who. Explore geek culture from around the world. Hosted by YOMYOMF.
• Brainiac Tuesday: Science, education and knowledge channels that make YouTube the world’s biggest platform for learning. Hosted by Veritasium and The Spangler Effect.
• Super Wednesday: From hilarious parodies to real-life super-powers, explore superheroes, the supernatural and the super-weird. Plus, released exclusively for Geek Week, the trailer for Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World. Hosted by Stan Lee’s World of Heroes.
• Gaming Thursday: A gamers paradise, with live play-throughs, videogames in real life, game-inspired original series and much more. Hosted by Machinima and Maker Studios’ Polaris
• Fan Friday: Sci-fi-themed cooking, incredible cosplay and impassioned nerd debates as YouTube’s biggest fans take center-stage. Hosted by Geek and Sundry.