NORMAN — Another day came and went without Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops announcing a starter for the Sooners’ 2013 season opener, scheduled for Aug. 31 against Louisiana-Monroe on Owen Field.
Despite recent television reports to the contrary, sources told The Oklahoman that OU coaches still haven’t declared a winner in the battle between junior Blake Bell and redshirt freshman Trevor Knight.
Stoops said last week on ESPN’s SportsCenter that he hoped to name a starter by the end of this week.
The quarterback competition is Oklahoma’s first since 2007, when future Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford won the job. Bell and Knight are competing to replace departed four-year starter Landry Jones.
Bell has rushed for 24 touchdowns over the past two seasons out of the short-yardage “Belldozer” package, when he would replace Jones in games, take a shotgun snap and plow forward for first downs and touchdowns.
Last August, Stoops announced Bell was the team’s second-team quarterback, causing Drew Allen to eventually transfer to Syracuse for the 2013 season using the NCAA’s postgraduate transfer rule.
Last season, Bell attempted only 16 passes, and five of them game in a 69-13 rout of hapless Florida A&M.
Knight passed for 2,092 yards with 27 touchdowns and only three interceptions — and recorded 943 yards and 15 scores on the ground — during his senior season at San Antonio’s Ronald Reagan High School.
He had originally committed to Texas A&M in the spring of 2011, but switched his commitment to OU before his senior year of high school.
Knight spent the 2012 season redshirting at Oklahoma and was named as one of the Sooners’ Scout Team Players of the Year.
The quarterback battle began in the spring between Bell, Knight and sophomore Kendal Thompson.
Thompson was considered a viable option until suffering a foot injury on the first day of the Sooners’ preseason fall camp this month.
Cut pounds of stomach fat every week by using this 1 weird old tip.