STILLWATER — Mike Gundy's Monday afternoon press conference started with another “no comment” about the upcoming Sports Illustrated project expected to allege rampant misconduct throughout the Oklahoma State football program dating back to the Les Miles era.
But it ended with the most detailed comment the head coach has made about the subject so far, followed by a lengthy statement from athletic director Mike Holder.
Neither Gundy nor Holder can say much more until the series of stories — with allegations ranging from rampant drug use to hostesses providing sex to recruits to academic misconduct to former assistant Joe DeForest paying players performance-based bonuses — is published. Then, they look forward to responding and correcting accordingly.
“As the athletics director at Oklahoma State and an alumni of the university, I don't want to believe that it's true,” Holder said of the report. "…We take this personally. We're all committed to playing by the rules, doing things the right way here. And for people to say that's not what is happening is very disturbing.”
Added Gundy: “I'm going to guess that once we get all the information and we see what's out there, our administration, the people inside, will look at it and we'll see where we made mistakes. And we'll try to make ourselves better and we'll correct it and then we'll move forward. And I would hope that there would be some of it that we'd look at and say, ‘I'm not sure one way or the other,' based on what's out there. That's really the best way I can put it.”
Holder said he met with Sports Illustrated reporter George Dohrmann and investigative editor B.J. Schecter last week to discuss the planned project. Holder said OSU has also already notified the NCAA, which will assign an investigator to look at the program.