Mayor Mick Cornett’s tornado task force is recommending that the city look into requiring safe rooms in new school construction. Here are some of the eight-page report’s recommendations and three highlights from its study of the history of #OKC tornadoes.
* Have city staff to analyze the idea of requiring safe rooms when new school construction occurs within city limits. Children living in Oklahoma City attend school in 24 districts, with the Oklahoma City Public Schools being the largest of those districts.
* A partnership with the National Weather Center in Norman for a series of severe storm safety town hall meetings.
* A joint study with the National Weather Center on ways Oklahoma City might improve its tornado siren notification system.
* Consider whether the Oklahoma City Fire Department can inspect schools and offer recommendations on enhancing safety.
And a few historical highlights:
* Since 1890, 145 tornadoes have struck within the Oklahoma City limits.
* Most tornado outbreaks have occurred in late afternoon/early evening.
* More than a third of those tornadoes struck in May; April and June are a distant second and third on the list of months with the most tornadoes.
White House Program Cuts Up to $1k off Monthly Payments! (3.05% APR)