MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico was shaken Monday by what officials described as the strongest aftershock yet from a powerful earthquake that killed at least two people and destroyed thousands of homes late last month.
Officials said there were no immediate reports of serious damage or injuries from the quake, which had an initial magnitude of 6.3.
Office towers rocked back and forth for several seconds in the center of Mexico City after the quake at 12:36 p.m. (17:36 GMT) Monday afternoon and workers evacuated their buildings and gathered in the street. The quake was barely perceptible in some other parts of the city.
Mexico's seismological service described it as the strongest of at least 280 aftershocks since the March 20 quake. Some were barely noticed, while others shook buildings throughout south and central Mexico.
Mexico City Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said via Twitter that no major damage had been reported by helicopter overflights of the city and public transport and other services were functioning normally.
Interior Secretary Alejandro Poire also said on Twitter that he had received no immediate reports of significant damage.
Continue reading this story on the...