New design for CyHawk Trophy wins online vote
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The new trophy for the winner of the Iowa-Iowa State football game will depict the team's mascots after a public vote.
Fans had been asked to submit ideas for a new trophy after the original — which depicted a farm family huddled around a bushel of corn — was derided locally and nationally after being unveiled last summer.
The Iowa Corn Growers Association, which sponsors the rivalry, worked with a local design firm to come up with six concepts. A 10-person panel with ties to the two schools selected three finalists to be put to an online vote that ended late Monday.
The winning design finished with 8,002 votes, while the other two designs combined for just 2,280.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 87104Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16817OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12528Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9682Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8846Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation