AP PHOTOS: May Day protests around the world
Activists staged May Day demonstrations around the world Tuesday to recognize a day traditionally associated with labor and workers' rights.
Tear gas, vandalism and arrests marked some of the demonstrations, as protesters demanded everything from wage increases to an end to austerity measures.
In Santiago, Chile, police blasted demonstrators with water cannons, and in Bogota, Colombia, activists ran through a flooded street to escape tear gas fired by authorities. Demonstrators in the Philippines and Bolivia burned effigies of their countries' leaders.
In Oakland, Calif., protesters were hit with a stinging gas and clashed with police in the street. In New York, police in riot gear faced off against several dozen Occupy Wall Street activists in front of a Bank of America office. About 50 demonstrators rallied outside of another Bank of America branch in Chicago.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort