Share “Rodgers throws late TD, Packers beat...”

Rodgers throws late TD, Packers beat Saints 28-27

Associated Press Published: October 1, 2012

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — Aaron Rodgers doesn't want to come out of a game under any circumstances, but his coaches figured not being able to focus with his right eye was serious enough to send him to the bench during a critical stretch of the third quarter.

Things nearly fell apart for the Green Bay Packers when backup Graham Harrell fumbled in the red zone. Then Rodgers returned, only to throw an interception.

But the MVP got it sorted out from there, rallying the Packers to a 28-27 comeback win over the New Orleans Saints at Lambeau Field on Sunday. Rodgers threw a go-ahead touchdown to Jordy Nelson in the fourth quarter, allowing the Packers to shake off a week's worth of controversy.

"We've probably had to deal with more adversity than most of the teams I've played with, especially early on we've had some interesting games already," Rodgers said. "We're four games in. So, I think the character of this team is very strong. Winning games like this says a lot about the kind of men that we have."

With Lambeau Field fans howling about what appeared to be yet another bad call — this time by the regular officials, not the replacements — the Saints' Garrett Hartley missed a 48-yard field goal attempt with just under three minutes remaining.

Rodgers threw for 319 yards with four touchdowns and an interception for the Packers (2-2).

Driving the Packers deep into Saints territory in the third quarter, Rodgers got roughed up by Saints safety Malcolm Jenkins and was poked in the eye as Jenkins was flagged for a face mask.

"I wanted to stay in the game — obviously, I don't like coming out for anything," Rodgers said. "Just didn't have any depth perception immediately thereafter and so I figured we were a yard away and we could punch that thing in there. Unfortunately, didn't happen."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Rodgers wasn't required to come out of the game for a play because of the penalty. But the Packers were being cautious.

"He could not refocus with his right eye, so with that the medical staff wanted to get him to the sideline," McCarthy said. "I don't know if they put the eye drops in, that was the discussion on the field. That's why we took him out at that point. But he wanted to stay in. He was able to stay in because the injury occurred on a penalty. But we took the high side of caution here and unfortunately it resulted in that fumble."

Harrell tripped and fumbled as he tried to hand it off, allowing the Saints to get the ball. Brees then found Joseph Morgan wide open behind the defense for an 80-yard touchdown and a 24-21 lead.

"I mean, that play could happen to anybody, including myself," Rodgers said. "We run an outside zone on the goal line there's often penetration and he was trying to make a handoff while falling down which is something that I've done before and it's just unfortunate that we weren't able to complete that handoff. He'll be fine."

Continue reading this story on the...