Nevada rallies for 35-28 win over Wyoming in OT
RENO, Nev. (AP) — Backup quarterback Devin Combs hit Aaron Bradley with a 24-yard touchdown pass in overtime and Nevada came from behind to beat Wyoming 35-28 on Saturday.
In a strange game that saw both teams lose their starting quarterbacks, the Wolf Pack tied the game in the final seconds of regulation as Combs connected with Richie Turner from 44 yards out to tie the score at 28.
Nevada (5-1, 2-0 Mountain West) led 21-7 in the second quarter when starting quarterback Cody Fajardo went down with back spasms with 5:04 left to play. He did not return.
Nevada coach Chris Ault praised Combs, a sophomore who finished 11 of 19 for 217 yards and two touchdowns.
"It took Devin some time to find himself, but he did and I'm proud of him," Ault said. "To bring this team back in the fourth quarter and then win this thing, that was pretty special."
Fajardo was 19 of 26 for 221 yards and two touchdowns and an interception. His 20-yard scoring pass to Kendall Brock put Nevada ahead 21-7 with 9:50 left in the first half.
Wyoming (1-4, 0-1) came back behind quarterback Brett Smith, who was ejected with 8:16 left in the fourth quarter after receiving a second unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.
Smith's 8-yard touchdown run with 13:07 left in the game had given the Cowboys a 28-21 lead. He received his first unsportsmanlike penalty after the touchdown for taunting.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad