Fisher defends questionable calls in FSU's loss
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida State's dream of contending for a national championship may have disappeared on a pair of fourth quarter decisions by coach Jimbo Fisher.
Not that the third-year coach was second-guessing himself on Monday.
"I wouldn't do it differently," he said. "There's nothing we regret."
The most mystifying call may have been Fisher's decision to not attempt a 51-yard field goal that would've given the Seminoles a nine point lead and virtually sealed a win at North Carolina State. Instead of giving Dustin Hopkins a shot at his fourth field goal in Saturday's game, the Seminoles punted and moments later watched their 16-point lead completely disappear in a 17-16 loss.
"Could he have made the field goal, yeah," Fisher said during Monday's news conference. "It had nothing to do with that."
Fisher also doesn't feel the loss can be pinned on questionable play call on third down, which cost the Seminoles 15 yards.
Instead of playing it safe, the Seminoles ran a play on third-and-two at the N.C. State 19 that resulted in quarterback EJ Manuel being sacked for a 15-yard loss — a play called during their second timeout of the game.
Fisher blamed his team's failures on poor execution.
"A technique issue," Fisher said. "Offense and defense. There's no one guy. They're costly."
This one may have cost Florida State a shot at the national championship. The Seminoles dropped nine spots in the poll to 12th.
"All losses, truthfully, they hurt," Manuel said. "This hurt especially."
It's the second straight year that Florida State's hopes for a possible run to a national title seemingly have disappeared by midseason— this time after the Seminoles blew a 16-point halftime lead. Fisher's 13-7 record against Atlantic Coast Conference opponents includes five losses in games Florida State was favored by double-digits.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M