5 employees to return to ministry after suspension

Associated Press Modified: October 8, 2012 at 5:47 pm •  Published: October 8, 2012
Advertisement
;

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Five suspended employees of a Tulsa megachurch charged with waiting more than two weeks to report the alleged rape of a 13-year-old girl will be returning to the ministry by the end of the month with different responsibilities, church leaders said.

Victory Christian Center pastor Bruce Edwards made the announcement during this weekend's services at the 17,000-member worldwide ministry.

Prosecutors allege the 13-year-old girl told employees around Aug. 15 that she had been raped in a stairwell on the church's campus in south Tulsa — but police weren't told until Aug. 30, after church officials said they did their own investigation. Police and church authorities then determined she was among at least four victims of alleged sex crimes by two former employees.

Among those charged for not reporting the allegations are John and Charica Daugherty, the son and daughter-in-law of ministry co-founder and head pastor Sharon Daugherty. The others are Paul Willemstein, Anna George and Harold "Frank" Sullivan. All five have pleaded not guilty to one misdemeanor count each and are due in court Oct. 31.