Reds still undecided on Cueto if there's Game 4
CINCINNATI (AP) — Johnny Cueto's bad back left the Cincinnati Reds unsure who would start Game 4 if their playoff against the San Francisco Giants goes that far.
The Reds' 19-game winner had to leave the first inning of the divisional series opener Saturday because of back spasms. Mat Latos and the bullpen took over and pulled off a 5-2 win.
The Reds took the first two games in San Francisco, leaving them one win from advancing to the NL championship series. They got their first chance to do it Tuesday night at Great American Ball Park, with Homer Bailey going against Ryan Vogelsong.
If San Francisco wins, manager Dusty Baker will have another difficult choice. He said Tuesday it was unclear whether Cueto would be able to throw.
If Cueto is hurt, the Reds have a few options. They could replace him on the division series roster with right-hander Mike Leake, who was left off. That would leave Cueto unavailable to pitch during the league championship series if the Reds make it that far.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 81135Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32459Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction