Candidates for 8th District seat hold debate
ROLLING MEADOWS, Ill. (AP) — A third debate between candidates in one of the most-watched congressional races devolved into name calling as Republican Congressman Joe Walsh labeled Democrat Tammy Duckworth a "failed bureaucrat" and she called him a tea party servant.
The two-hour faceoff Tuesday saw the candidates for the newly-redrawn 8th Congressional District touch on issues ranging from the future of Medicare to gridlock in Washington.
Walsh said his fight against raising the debt ceiling and backing a balanced budget amendment makes him the best choice for the seat. Duckworth said protection of Medicare and Social Security guarantees makes her the better choice.
Walsh, elected to Congress in 2010, mocked Duckworth, saying she answers questions with "nice poll tested, canned answers."
Duckworth said Walsh puts his tea party support ahead of the district's needs.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims