News Summary: Smashing pumpkin harvest
SMASHING SUCCESS: Farmers in a stretch of Illinois where most of the nation's pumpkins are grown say their crop is likely to be one of the few successes in a year when severe drought baked most of the nation's heartland.
JACK O LANTERN LIKES: Pumpkins tend to thrive in dry, warm climates that stave off fungus, mold and other rind-rotting diseases that spread in wet conditions. They're also grown from seeds with deep roots that let them reach moisture unavailable to corn.
HALLOWEEN HOORAY: It's a sharp break from recent years, when soggy conditions have hurt the nation's pumpkin production.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit