Alabama, Florida are top 2 in BCS
Alabama and Florida are at the top of the season's first BCS standings, making it yet another all-SEC top two, with Oregon and Kansas State close behind the Gators.
The Crimson Tide in first was no surprise. Alabama is an overwhelming No. 1 in both polls used in the BCS formula. Florida in second was less anticipated. The Gators are No. 3 in the polls, but rated best by the computer rankings That gave them a slight edge over Oregon and Kansas State when the numbers were crunched. Florida's BCS average is .9092. Oregon's is .8993 and Kansas State's is .8963.
Notre Dame is fifth and not too far back at .8774.
Despite the strong showing by the Southeastern Conference, another all-SEC national championship game is still a long shot. Oregon's schedule is backloaded with strong opponents and the Ducks will likely be able to close the gap in the computers if they keep winning.
The Ducks play Arizona State on Thursday (5-1) and still have games against Southern California and Oregon State left, and a possible Pac-12 title game.
Florida has some tough games left, too, starting Saturday against South Carolina.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister