Germans commemorate victims of far-right group

Associated Press Modified: November 4, 2012 at 10:46 am •  Published: November 4, 2012
Advertisement
;

BERLIN (AP) — Activists staged vigils in dozens of German cities Sunday to commemorate the victims of a far-right terror group, one year after its existence came to light.

The revelation that a small band of neo-Nazis had likely been responsible for a seven-year murder spree sent shock waves through Germany's security establishment last year.

The group, which called itself National Socialist Underground, is suspected of killing at least nine men and a policewoman between 2000 and 2007. The male victims all belonged to ethnic minorities and for years German authorities attributed the murders to immigrant gangs.

The investigation took a dramatic turn when two fugitive neo-Nazis, Uwe Mundlos and Uwe Boenhardt, were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide on Nov. 4, 2011. The third alleged core member of the group, Beate Zschaepe, is in custody pending trial.

Zschaepe's lawyer Wolfgang Heer told The Associated Press on Sunday that prosecutors are likely to submit a formal indictment against his client "within weeks." A trial is expected next year.



Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Sex Valley: Tech's booming prostitution trade
  2. 2
    Colorado Is Consuming Way More Pot Than Anyone Ever Believed
  3. 3
    What Dan Gilbert said to LeBron James to get him to return to Cleveland
  4. 4
    Female Yahoo Exec Sued By a Female Employee for Sexual Harassment
  5. 5
    A company wants you to experiment on Facebook — by quitting
+ show more