Share “6 taken to hospital with apparent CO...”

6 taken to hospital with apparent CO poisoning

Associated Press Modified: November 12, 2012 at 9:16 am •  Published: November 12, 2012
Advertisement

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A family of six has been taken to the hospital after their Salt Lake City home registered dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide.

Salt Lake City fire department spokesman Jasen Asay says the parents called 911 about 5 a.m. Monday after they and their children woke up with flu-like symptoms.

Paramedics responded to the home on East Redondo Avenue, and all six were taken to the hospital by ambulance. Authorities say all the family members were conscious.

Gas company employees say the carbon monoxide came from a natural gas-fueled water heater.

Asay tells The Salt Lake Tribune there weren't carbon monoxide detectors in the home. He recommends residents install them, especially as temperatures drop and natural gas appliances get more use.