RPM re-signs Ambrose, Almirola for 2013 season
HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) — Richard Petty Motorsports has re-signed Sprint Cup Series drivers Marcos Ambrose and Aric Almirola for the 2013 season.
Ambrose, who won at Watkins Glen earlier this season, will be teamed with crew chief Drew Blickensderfer. Almirola will be paired with veteran crew chief Todd Parrott.
"We have shuffled our Cup team lineups a few times this season to maximize our results," RPM director of competition Sammy Johns said. "We feel that the chemistry that we are developing now with both teams is very strong. We have seen marked improvement over the past few weeks. ... We feel confident that both teams are capable of competing for wins and making the Chase next season."
It will be Ambrose's third season at RPM. He will again be behind the wheel of the No. 9 Ford. It will be Almirola's second season in the No. 43 Ford.
Both drivers changed crew chiefs twice this season while searching for the right combination.
Ambrose started the year with Parrott, then had former Joe Gibbs Racing crew chief Mike Ford before being paired with Blickensderfer, Jeff Burton's former crew chief, a couple of weeks ago. Ambrose is 18th in the Sprint Cup standings, with three top-five and eight top-10 finishes.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say